Trump Hints at New Military Action Against Iran as Tehran Announces “Professional Mechanism” for Managing the Strait of Hormuz
ARK News.. U.S. President Donald Trump has hinted at the possibility of renewed military action against Iran amid growing signs of a breakdown in diplomatic efforts between the two sides.
On Saturday evening, May 16, 2026, Trump published a post on the platform Truth Social reading, “Calm before the storm,” accompanied by an image showing him standing before a massive storm and warships, a message observers interpreted as a signal of possible escalation.
In remarks to French channel BFM, Trump said he did not know whether a deal with Iran would be reached soon, but noted that Tehran remained interested in an agreement, warning that Iran “would face a very bad time” if negotiations failed.
Earlier on Saturday, Trump issued a strongly worded warning to Tehran, stressing what he described as Washington’s “running out of patience,” while revealing what he said was a U.S.-Chinese consensus rejecting Iran’s possession of nuclear weapons and demanding the full reopening of the Strait of Hormuz, according to Fox News.
According to the network, options being considered against Iran include targeting sites affiliated with the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), as well as the possible deployment of special forces inside Iran to seize underground nuclear materials, particularly at the Isfahan nuclear facility.
In response, Chairman of the Iranian Parliament’s National Security Committee Ibrahim Azizi announced that Tehran had “established a professional mechanism to manage maritime traffic” in the Strait of Hormuz, adding that it would be ready soon.
Azizi explained that the new mechanism would allow passage for commercial vessels and parties “cooperating with Iran,” while restrictions would remain in place against entities Tehran describes as “non-cooperative.”
In a related development, Iranian state media reported that relevant authorities had informed operational levels of a comprehensive plan for an “immediate response” should the war resume, warning the United States against any “miscalculation” that could trigger a new escalation.
American and Iranian positions remain far apart despite nearly two and a half months having passed since the outbreak of the war and more than a month since the ceasefire between the two sides took effect.
Washington is demanding that Tehran abandon its nuclear program and lift restrictions on navigation through the Strait of Hormuz, while Iran insists on receiving compensation for war damages, ending the U.S. blockade, and halting military operations across all fronts.
The developments come amid growing regional and international fears over the collapse of diplomatic efforts and the failure of initiatives aimed at ending the escalating conflict in the reg
65
